Friday, July 27, 2012

Have you ever seen the christian fish and wondered what it means?

The Christian fish symbol was used by Christians during the first few centuries A.D. as a secret symbol, because to openly declare your self a believer in Jesus Christ could mean persecution or death. A person could nonchalantly make a half circle with his foot and watch to see if the other person would recognize the symbol and complete the other half of the fish.
The Christian fish symbol was also used to mark places that were safe for Christians to be, such a home or business that was owned by a Christian. Using the Christian fish symbol could save a person a lot of trouble in those days, and even now it is used by believers living in countries where followers of Christ are persecuted.
So what constitutes a christian? A Christian is someone who first believes in Christ and then accepts him as their personal savior. Followed by baptism. Then comes work. To follow him you must know him for how can you serve a master for whom you do not know. To know someone is far different than just knowing a list of facts. So how do we come to know him? To know him is a personal journey that can neither be bought or sold it must be experienced through heartfelt personal prayer and study. If you are a true Christian you will find yourself doing the task that Christ would do if he were here. You become his hands eyes ears and heart as the holy ghost whispers the masters task in a moment of need. As I look at the world today I wish Christians could come together with a symbol as simple as a fish drawn in the sand.
I hear the words united we stand and divided we fall. I once heard a story of a group of Christians. They were all united until someone overheard a gospel conversation. In that moment they realized some of the Christians were part of a different denomination they deemed as a lesser faith. Through cunning plans, steps were taken by a few to deny privileges of all involved and eventually the removal of some individuals. Upon hearing this story related it brought me great sadness. I thought wow Does it really matter what someones opinion is? do we not worship the same God? Is Christ not the center of all Christians worship? If you are reading this I challenge you to embrace all truth no matter the source. But you may think I must be careful, I do not want to be led astray like those who rejected and crucified Christ. Matthew has the answer Matt:7 15-16 . As Christians let us be more tolerant of each other for contention is of the evil one. Matthew teaches matt : 6:24 no man can serve 2 masters for either he will hate the one and love the other or else he will hold the one and despise the other. As a christian I pray that we can be more tolerant of one another. I pray that we will put into practice WWJD and CTR


What would Jesus do (if he were here) and Choose The Right ( when faced with life's trials ) I fear if we do not we will find ourselves with empty lamps like the 5 foolish virgins when the bridegroom visits. Let us be wise and follow the master for he even loved Judas in the moment of his betrayal. He loves each of us for who we are as a child of God and for what we can become, if we will only follow his call, when he said come follow me and do as I do. Come all ye that are heavy laden and I will give you rest. For my Yoke is easy and my burden light.

I once asked my youth class if they would die for Christ, without fail all responded yes yes all the way around the room. I then responded, it is easy to die for him but will you live for him. To die takes little or no effort. But to live for him takes dedication and effort.

I hope we can all be faithful


And love one another as the master loves us in this we will find tolerance and discover his love

The Greek letters that make of the word for fish are IXOYE, and they form an acronym that has also been associated with this symbol. Iesous Christos Theou Yios Soter', which is translated as 'Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior'






No comments: