Saturday, March 14, 2009

Just Killing Time

In this life it seems we are constantly at battle with the Time clock.
Many times It seems like I am reliving the movie Ground Hogs Day.
There are so many things to occupy our time and as a consequence we put off to tomorrow what we should have done today.
The other day I ran into a man I have not seen in over 20 years while we were talking his son walked up. I soon realized he was 25 years old. I almost fainted on the floor to realize that much time had passed since I had seen this man. I recall the time because his little son was about 5 years old the last time I saw him.
As I contemplated that single event I became very conscious of how we can let time get away from us. This man was in the scouting program at church when I was a youth. He was a great man with a loving desire to help the youth and the ward. He was active for about 2 years and as always happens change came to the ward. Through these changes in the ward and personality conflicts he fell away and has now been lost for 20 years. To think of this makes me physically sick.

When I was released from my labors as a Full time LDS missionary at the age of 21 My Stake President gave me some council that I thought was rather silly and trivial at the time but it has stuck with me.
He told me the best thing I could do in this life is forgive every man before he offends me. He said if I could do this I would find happiness in this life.
I am now 35 years old, 14 years has passed and it is only now that I am beginning to appreciate understand and begin to try to heed those words of council.
When we are offended more often that not we neglect the things the Lord would have us do. This is Satans plan. If he can get you offended then you loose the desire to accomplish the Lords Work.
The Lord Does not care about our abilities.
He only cares about our availability to be an instrument in his hand.
All of the abilities in the world are for naught if we are unwilling to humble ourselves and submit to the Master, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
As we go through the upcoming weeks let us try to remember to be a little more understanding. Many times when we get mad with someone it is because we have not walked a mile in his or her moccasins. Only when their story is shared with us do we truly understand and appreciate their actions. If you still catch yourself becoming offended stop and realize what Old scratch is trying accomplish. And say a silent prayer for you and that individual.
The Savior taught constantly through his ministry and death, for us to forgive.
We see it illustrated as he hung on the cross he uttered the words,
Father Forgive Them For They Know Not What They Do.
We are taught in the scriptures in Mosiah 2:17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
The biggest compliment you could ever give someone is your time.
Time is the most valuable possession one has.
If someone spends an hour with you they had to give up that hour in another facet of their life.
There is no Higher Honor that can be paid other than Death and in death you have given up your time.
I once heard a quote that said.
The saddest words of tongue or pen is what might have been.
Had I only done (????????)
The time is now..
Don't put off to tomorrow
The things that ought to be done TODAY.

No comments: