Saturday, March 14, 2009

Longfellow of Harvard University

LONGFELLOW Of Harvard began his first year of regular, prescribed duties in
September 1837. He was tingling with energy, confidence, and
cheerfulness. "I shall commence the Term in great spirits, and
lecture on the Faust of Göthe."1 He did more than the minimum pre­
scribed. He was ever industrious. "The arrangement with the Com­
mittee requires me to lecture but once a week. I'll throw in the other, to
show, that I am not reluctant to work; and likewise for my own good;
--namely, to make me read attentively--give me practice--and keep
me from growing indolent."2 This fervor subsided gradually, but never
was lost completely. In 1847, Longfellow wrote in his journal: "This
term I have three classes; two in Molière and one in Dante. No col­
lege work could possibly be pleasanter."3 Even near the end of his
teaching career, Longfellow wrote of his lectures with warmth and
enthusiasm. One day one of Longfellows students asked him
"How do you Keep so Young Professor Longfellow??" We never get tired of your classes. You always have something interesting to give.
Professor Longfellow responded "I've never had that question put to me before" as he gazed out the window. Longfellow then said "do you see the difference between those 2 apple trees in the yard??
No replied the student, they look alike to me.
Longfellow replied How do you account for the fact that the old apple trees flowers out as beautifully as does the young one?
The student at a loss for words said I don't know I cant explain it.
Longfellow said Let me tell you a secret. That old tree managed last year to grow enough new wood to put forth its new blossoms. Blossoms you know come only on new wood.
Oh I see said the young man to keep young one must keep growing. Yes came the quiet response.
For any one who has been around fruit trees it seems like if a tree does not bloom it will soon die, To me it is almost as if it has nothing to live for.
Likewise we must never we stop growing in the gospel of Jesus Christ. And as we grow in the gospel it is only natural for us to blossom and bring forth new wood and new fruit. The tree never knows the impact its fruit has on the receiver. Likewise we may never know the impact our fruit has on the ones around us.

No comments: