Monday, August 4, 2008

DID YOU KNOW A WORD CAN BE A NOUN AND A VERB?

I learned an interesting fact today
I am not an English major but I have never realized until today that a word could be both a noun and a verb.
I looked up the word friend and it gave examples of both
If you are considered a friend to someone it takes no action on your part so you are a noun.
If you are a friend to someone the word becomes a verb because it takes action to be a friend.
Now I say (CONSIDERED) a friend because many people may consider you a friend until your actions prove otherwise.
In this life each day we are faced with choosing what friends we will accept and which ones we will reject.
Now if we truly understood the word friend it would really make our choice each day a much easier one.
So what is a friend?
I have always said a friend is someone I would feel comfortable showing up that their door at 2:00Am and you knowing they had worked 24hour shift and you are sure they would not be upset.
Now I do not expect them to entertain me. A friendly hello, are you ok, If so, they could say, I have worked all night make your self at home and I will see you when I get up.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->
In my older age I have learned this may not necessarily be a good statement to summarize a friend.
By D. Newburn

No comments: