Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I found 3 keys to hidden treasure

Key one, learn from the past.


Each of us has a heritage, this heritage provides a foundation built of sacrifice and faith learn the heritage of your family and country.

Key two, prepare for the future.

Without a goal, there can be no real su...ccess. One of the best definitions of success I have ever heard goes something like this: Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal. Someone has said the trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never crossing the goal line. Years ago there was a romantic and fanciful ballad that contained the words, "Wishing will make it so / Just keep on wishing / And care will go." I want to state here and now that wishing will not replace thorough preparation to meet the trials of life. Preparation is hard work but absolutely essential for our progress. Our journey into the future will not be a smooth highway which stretches from here to eternity. Rather, there will be forks and turnings in the road, to say nothing of the unanticipated bumps. We must pray daily to a loving Heavenly Father, who wants each of us to succeed in life. Again Prepare for the future.

Key three, live in the present.

Sometimes we let our thoughts of tomorrow take up too much of today. Daydreaming of the past and longing for the future may provide comfort but will not take the place of living in the present. This is the day of our opportunity, and we must grasp it. "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you've collected a lot of empty yesterdays." There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today.

A man wrote just after the passing of his wife, I opened her dresser drawer and found there an item of clothing she had purchased when we visited the eastern part of the United States nine years earlier. She had not worn it but was saving it for a special occasion. Now, of course, that occasion would never come. In relating this experience to a friend, the husband said, "Don't save something only for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion."That friend later said those words changed her life. They helped her to cease putting off the things most important to her. Said she: "Now I spend more time with my family. I use crystal glasses every day. I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket if I feel like it. The words 'someday' and 'one day' are fading from my vocabulary. Now I take the time to call my relatives and closest friends. I've called old friends to make peace over past quarrels. I tell my family members how much I love them. I try not to delay or postpone anything that could bring laughter and joy into our lives. And each morning, I say to myself that this could be a special day. Each day, each hour, each minute, is special."

Arthur Gordon many years ago in a national magazine wrote:

"When I was around thirteen and my brother ten, Father had promised to take us to the circus. But at lunchtime there was a phone call; some urgent business required his attention downtown. We braced ourselves for disappointment. Then we heard him say [into the phone], 'No, I won't be down. It'll have to wait.' "When he came back to the table, Mother smiled. 'The circus keeps coming back, you know,' [she said]." 'I know,' said Father. 'But childhood doesn’t.'

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today" "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."

A poet set to verse the sorrow of opportunities forever lost. I quote a portion:

Around the corner I have a friend,

In this great city that has no end;

Yet days go by, and weeks rush on,

And before I know it, a year is gone,

And I never see my old friend’s face,

For Life is a swift and terrible race. . . .

But to-morrow comes—and to-morrow goes,

And the distance between us grows and grows.



Around the corner!—yet miles away

"Here's a telegram, sir,"

"Jim died to-day."



And that's what we get, and deserve in the end:

Around the corner, a vanished friend

One day each of us will run out of tomorrows

Do not put off what is important Live in the present.

Excerpts Thomas S. Monson “in search of Treasure”

No comments: